We have both automatic and manual transmission Crafter vehicles in our fleet. However, the Crafter is always started by using a key.
Here's how it works:
- First of all, make sure that the vehicle is clean and ready to be used once you get in. If there are any items left behind in the cargo space, please contact our support immediately.
- Take your time to adjust the seat, steering wheel and mirrors properly. Vans do not have a rear-view mirror. Therefore, use the side mirrors exactly & remember to do shoulder checks in traffic!
VW Crafter with manual transmission:
- You start the ignition of the van with the ignition key. The key is located in the glove compartment on the passenger side.
- Operate the clutch with your left foot and the brake with your right.
- Turn the key in the ignition lock so that the engine starts.
- With the clutch pressed down, select the appropriate gear using the gear lever.
- Release the handbrake, let the clutch come up slowly and accelerate in order to start moving.
VW Crafter with automatic transmission:
- In order to start the engine, step on the brake pedal & press the start/stop button at the same time.
- Select your driving mode: Shift the gear lever to 'D' to move forward and to 'R' if you want to move backwards.
- Deactivate the handbrake, release the brake pedal and gently press the accelerator to start moving.
Please note the following general information on driving vans:
- Size & turning Circle: Before your ride, memorize the size of your van and make sure you have enough room on narrow roads and underpasses.
Remember that the turning circle of a van is much larger than that of a car. Therefore, you need more space to turn and maneuver.
- Stopping distances: Take enough time to start from the standstill when the van is fully loaded.
Always keep a sufficient distance to the vehicle in front of you and keep an eye on the speed limits applicable to vans.